Christ-shaped lives and Spirit-inspired speech (2023 Qtr 3 - Week 8: 19 August)

The public forum for It's Biblical show.
Download the study guide and resources and join in live every Saturdays 9am - 11am.
LMcDonald

Christ-shaped lives and Spirit-inspired speech (2023 Qtr 3 - Week 8: 19 August)

Post by LMcDonald »

2023 Qtr 3 Wk 8 Christ-shaped lives and Spirit-inspired speech.jpg
Key Text: “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:22–24, NIV).

Jose Antonio lived on the streets of Palma, Spain, as a homeless man for years. With gray, straggly hair and beard, Jose looked older than his 57 years. One day, Salva Garcia, the owner of a hair salon, approached Jose and proposed a complete makeover.

With Jose in the salon chair, a hardworking team cut, dyed, and styled the tangled bundles of hair and beard. Next, Jose then got new stylish clothes. Then came the reveal! As Jose sat in front of a mirror, tears came. “Is this me? I’m so different; no one is going to recognize me!” Later he would add, “It wasn’t just a change of looks. It changed my life.”

In Ephesians 4:17–32, Paul argues that believers have experienced a complete transformation. They have taken off their old selves and have
embraced their new identity. Somewhat like Jose’s change, though, this is no mere external transformation. It includes being “renewed in
the spirit of your minds” (Ephesians 4:23, ESV), bringing into the life “true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:24, ESV). This is the ultimate makeover.

Thought question: How does Paul’s counsel about Christian speech (Ephesians 4:25–32) apply in the age of “computer-mediated communication,” which is too often used for cyberbullying and anonymous, online character assassination?

Christ-shaped lives and Spirit-inspired speech (Qtr 3 - Week 8: 19 August) Part1
Christ-shaped lives and Spirit-inspired speech (Qtr 3 - Week 8: 19 August) Part2

Audio recordings are available 5-10 minutes after the show has aired.

LOGIN