Longing for God in Zion (Qtr 1 - Week 11: 16 March)

The public forum for It's Biblical show.
Download the study guide and resources and join in live every Saturdays 9am - 11am.
LMcDonald

Longing for God in Zion (Qtr 1 - Week 11: 16 March)

Post by LMcDonald »

2024 Qtr 1 Wk 11 Longing for God in Zion.jpg
Key Text: “My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God” (Psalm 84:2, NKJV).

The songs of Zion are joyous hymns that magnify the beauty of Zion and the sovereignty of the Lord, who reigns from His holy mountain. These psalms often praise the merits of the Lord’s house and express a love for the sanctuary that can be found in other psalms, as well. Many of these psalms were composed by the sons of Korah, who had firsthand experience of the blessedness of the Lord’s house as the temple musicians (1 Chronicles 6:31−38) and keepers of the temple gates (1 Chronicles 9:19).

What makes Zion the source of hope and joy? Zion represented God’s living presence among His people. As the people of Israel are God’s chosen people (Deuteronomy 7:6), so Zion is God’s chosen mountain (Psalm 78:68, Psalm 87:2). God reigns from Zion (Psalm 99:1, 2) and founded His temple on Zion, as well (Psalm 87:1). Thus, Zion is a place of divine blessings and refuge. Zion is often referred to in parallel, or even interchangeably with, Jerusalem and the sanctuary, the center of God’s work of salvation for the ancient world.

The blessings of Zion overflow to the ends of the earth because the Lord’s person and grace exceed the boundaries of any holy place. Zion is the joy of all the earth (Ps. 48:2), affirming that the whole earth belongs to God.

Thought questions: How do you answer the person who points to the reality of the wicked prospering in this world while many “good” people suffer? What do you say? Why is it important to acknowledge that we don’t have full answers for everything here now?

LOGIN